how to hide Content Folder for a User

Mansi Sharma shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi Team YF,

I have a question about how can i hide Content Folder for a User/User Group in YF 7.3.

I have given permissions for Sub folder and those are not showing up but the Mail folder still shows up for Users/User Group who don't have permissions to that content. Screen Shot attached.

Please let me know if there is any way to hide this Folder from Folder List.

Thanks,

Mansi Sharma.

Replies (12)

photo

Hi Mansi,

interesting problem, I've found that even though you can't set a top level content folder to be Private via the UI, it is actually possible with a little bit of backend action!

You will need to look into the ContentManagement table to learn what the ContentManagementID is for the top level folder you wish to hide. You can identify which row is the one you want by finding the folder's name in the column called "ContentTypeCode", however you will most probably find more than one row with your folder name in which case you only want the row that has the value 'INDEX' for the column called 'ContentCode'

Once you have the correct ContentManagementID you will also need to get the IpPerson of the user you wish to be allowed to see the private top level folder. You can find this in the Person table, and you can identify which row you want by finding the user's name in the FullName column.

Then all you have to do is insert a new record in the AccessLevel table as follows:

INSERT INTO AccessLevel 
VALUES (<insert your ContentManagementId here>,	'CONTENT', 'DELETE', 'PERSON', <insert your IpPerson here>)
And of course, you don't have to give the user the DELETE access permission, you could also give them EDIT or READ

You will to add a new record in the AccessLevel table for each user you want to add to the top folder's security list.

Finally, you will need to restart Yellowfin.

And as we tell all our clients who delve into the backend of their Yellowfin config database, don't forget to back it up immediately prior to your modifications.

I hope that works for you as well as it did for me!

Please let me know how it goes.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the above solution but i want to add more to it.

When i followed the same steps - My top level content folder was still showing up. I investigated a bit and found the problem -

In ContentManagement table "LoginAccessCode" is set to "UNSECURE" by default. I updated the LoginAccessCode to "ACCESSLEVEL" for my ContentManagementId in ContentManagement table and here we go - It worked. Top Level content Folder is hidden for other users.

Thanks,

Mansi Sharma.

photo

you are absolutely correct, and my apologies for missing that step - I did it myself (there is no other way) but forgot it in my description to you.

Well done!

regards,

David

photo

Thanks David.

photo

Hi,

I tried the same steps but still top level folder shows up with the lock icon.

Yellowfin Version:

Application Version:8.0.4
Build20200213
Java Version:11.0.7
Operating System:Windows Server 2016 10.0 (amd64)
photo

Any Update?

photo

Hi Harsh,

Are you wanting to accomplish the same outcome as the original request? To hide a top level content folder? The solution below is a bit of a hack so if it doesn't work, I may have to look into logging an enhancement request instead.

Did you also follow Mansi's final step that was missing in the original set of steps?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Yes i want the same behavior as mentioned in the earlier request, also i have also followed the Mansi's final steps but still it doesn't hide the top level folder.

Thanks,

Harsh

photo

Hi Harsh,

I just tested it myself and it does appear to work in 8.0.4. If I create a folder within a top level folder, move some content into it and then make that subfolder private, it will hide the content, sub and top level folders for that user that hasn't been granted access.

Please could you send me some screenshots of your folder structure and the permissions of those folders for both the admin user and the user who should not be able to see the top level folder.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

Chris

photo

Hi,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your support. Yes you can close this request, with latest it is working.

Thanks,

Harsh

Leave a Comment

Attach a file