Ad-hoc reports

Dean Flinter shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

This is actually a 2 fold question.

1. Is it possible for ad-hoc reports to be the default when creating a report? We have a lot of users that need one off data pulls and our folders are getting polluted with loads of draft reports. Can we make it so that reports are only saved when the user specifically does so?

2. On a related note, can users be given permission to only create ad-hoc reports? I.e. we want them to be able to do one offs and export etc but not be able to save them as reports

Thanks

Dean

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Dean!

That's definitely a good idea to have ad-hoc be an option to be chosen as the default method to make reports.

I think if it was implemented it would be at the user role level, so I'll include the ability to set ad-hoc reports as the only method under the same request.

Interestingly I noticed a bug that the toggle to choose to create an ad-hoc report would only appear after enabling the disabling the 'Advanced Authoring' toggle. I'll submit that to the devs as well.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

I wonder would it be better to have ad-hoc reports listed in the create menu? Separately to report

That way a power user or senior role can decide what to do and not have to contact an admin to change back and forth depending on their use case.

If coupled with your reply below, a user who is not allowed to create standard reports, would only then see ad-hoc in the menu

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Chris,

Just a question on the advanced authoring bug you mentioned. I can't see the option to create an ad-hoc report at all, even if I toggle advanced authoring on/off

I might just be looking in the wrong place. Can you add some screenshots?

Thanks

Dean

photo
photo

Hi Dean,

Just as a followup to the below. I'm wondering if you could create a role for those users who you want to only have the capability to create ad-hoc reports, assign users to that role and set the permissions accordingly.

You could set role permissions similarly to the below. Note Public Reports are Read only and the role has the ability to create ad-hoc reports.

Kind regards,

Chris

/be77992934998cd6a9ca4ead0ce3c523

photo

Thanks Chris!

I think this is what I was looking for in regards to question 2.

I don't have permissions to manage users myself so I didn't see that ad-hoc and reports are separate

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Dean,

No worries! Usually when you use the Create menu and select report you have that option to make it an ad-hoc report. But if you like I can request it as an enhancement!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Maybe my brain just isn't functioning at 100% today but I just can't see the option to create the report as an ad-hoc one. Can you upload a screenshot showing where it should be? Maybe it has been disabled for my user

Thanks

Dean

photo

Hi Dean,

Please check my screenshot:

/7fe0a06ad8dd3a5b114946b9f72a8553

Although saying that, the option only seems to appear when you turn on and then disable Advanced Authoring first. I think that might be a bug!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Dean,

Just to update you, the above bug is known to us. I'll see if I can raise to the priority on it as it seems like a simple fix.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Thanks Chris

I don't have the option there so I must not have ad-hoc reports turned on in my permissions

Thanks

Dean

photo

No worries, Dean! I'll go ahead and mark this as answered but if you do have any other questions let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file