Can we set a default Preview Row Limit?

Jonathan Allen shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

We need to have a high Active Row Limit for our reporting, but for performance reasons we would like to set a much lower default Preview Row Limit so our users don't have poor performance during report creation. Is it possible to set the default Preview Row Limit? If so, how?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Johnathan,

There is no distinction between the data preview and the final report limits that would allow for this. If you do not like previewing using the dummy data, I would recommend removing row limits from the data source and view levels, and then setting the default report limit for something very obvious like 10 or 20. This way people creating the report will recognize that the row limit is not appropriate for production and can easily remember to bump it up when it comes time to publish the report.

Sorry for the inconvenience here and please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

This doesn't sound like a very good user experience. While 10 rows might be obviously truncated for some reports, it could be perfectly reasonable in others. Similarly, if a report returns only 5 rows at the time it was created, but later would return more - the report creator might not think to increase the row limit and that could cause problems.

Considering that report development involves many data refreshes (if auto is on) it seems like it would make sense to have a "Preview Row Limit" default that can be set independent of the data source or report active row limit. Can this be added as an "Idea"? I think this would be an important feature for our users. Otherwise we may have to set the row limit lower than we would like to prevent performance problems on the system.

photo

Hi Johnathan,

I see your point here, and agree that this could be a useful feature. I am going to go ahead and convert this to an idea now, but it is worth noting that low row limits have no effect on data aggregation and are highly recommended for most use cases. The primary use case for removing row limits, is if you are exporting the resulting data set and need every row to be included.

Things such as a broad column sum will produce the same result whether the row limit is 1 or 1mil.

Once the product team has had a chance to review this we will get a better idea of if this is something that can be done.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Jonathan,

This idea makes sense and has been added as an item to reviewed by the product team for a future release.

Any updates on this task will be posted here, though at this point in time, there is not ETA.

Please let us know if there was anything else you were after.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi Jonathan,

I hope all is well,

I know this an old ticket (6 years), however, I come with news that this has since been implemented within the versions of; 7.4.14, 8.0.6 and 9.2.

Added configurations for default preview and active row limit in the Report Builder.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file