sort each metric (column) separately

Liav Elias shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

hi

I have a simple vertical column chart, with few metrics for example: A,B,C.

I enabled the option in the chart settings to enable visible series selection so now I can choose which metric to see in the chart. I would like all metrics to be sorted desc from highest value to the lowest but the only thing I can do is to sort one metric in the data view so for example only when I look at metric A I see it sorted, when I look at metric B or C they are not sorted.

is there a way to achieve this?

I am trying to avoid creating a seperated bar chart for each metric (in theory I can make a sperated report based on metric A,B or C and the problem is solved but I can have a lot of metrics so it is not the best solution)

thanks,

Liav

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Liav,

I apologize for the delayed response. I am not sure if this solution is applicable to your goals, but I would recommend employing tabbed sections. Using the Ski Team database as an example:

In Data:

1. Set Columns: Booking Step, Sum Invoiced Amount
  2. Set Sections: Demographic
  3. In Sections->Format: set 'Section Style' to "Tabbed"
  4. Apply sorting to the numeric column (Sum Invoiced Amount)

f0c0ef174768cb949d2781bb53827ccc

In Charts:

1. Place Booking Step on horizontal axis and Sum Invoiced Amount on the vertical

This will allow you to click through charts individually, with the sorting applied to each, as seen below:

b2c83079281ce35c6a45ad21396be821

Please let me know if this solution is not applicable to your needs and we can explore other options.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

thanks for your answer.

I think that the problem in your solution is that the section Demographic is a dimension and not a metric , in my question I wanted to get the option to see different metrics with the same sorting,

thanks,

Liav

photo

Hi Liav,

Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately, since series selection allows multiple metrics to be selected at once, there is no way to "intelligently" sort individual metrics.

As a work around you could allow the table be displayed, but limit the visible results to one row. This would allow you use the table headers to sort based on your desired metric.

113ae0f69e11252ed2719491c4094f01

Taking this one step further, you could set custom cell, text, and padding sizes to 0 so that the data row is practically invisible, though this would make later data manipulation difficult. These settings can be found in the "Report Formatting" menu within the "Output" tab.

b6e51fd2e6115a0349235869d48cc909

Beyond these options, it is doubtful that the functionality you are seeking is currently available in Yellowfin. So, if I have missed the mark again, it would be helpful if you could attach a screenshot of your desired outcome and we can look into raising this as an idea for future Yellowfin enhancement.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Liav,

I was just wondering if you have had any luck in resolving this issue? Please let me know if you have any additional questions of if you would be okay with me closing this ticket.

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file