Move content between tenants (organisations)

VisionBI | Jurgen shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

Often when you start with an installation of Yellowfin you get the idea (afterwards) to split it in organisations. Everything on default is available on the tentant (unless secured). It would be nice to be able to move content from default to a tenant, and maybe also between tenants.

That would make working with organisations/tenants much more flexible.

Replies (11)

photo

Hi Jurgen,

I hope all is well,

Can I ask how you would like this to work? Would you be looking for a simple drag and drop option to move content from one client org to the next?

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark, a drag-and-drop would be great. Actually if you have the current file browser and add a tentant structure in front of that, that would make it a lot easier. The difficulty would be, if you move a dashboard/report, you normally would also move all the underlying files. Just like an export, it selects automatically all the related objects.

Another option would be to make internal export/import packages, so don't export it to file but have an internal move (or copy) feature.

If this could be implemented, you automatically have a very nice OTAP feature. You create a Dev, Test, Prod tenant and move your stuff arround according to the phase it's in.

Regards, Jurgen

photo

Hi Jurgen,

Thank you for getting back with additional information. I like the idea of this:

"Another option would be to make internal export/import packages, so don't export it to file but have an internal move (or copy) feature."

I can see how this would be of an advantage to YF users... Allowing users to export specific individual content (without the additional related files etc.) With this you could export Report A to Client Org 2 all done within the UI.

I guess it's a case of speeding specific areas up with a better use of Yellowfin without having to go the long way path of exporting, then importing, setting up the content folder etc.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hello,

I would even see it a bit broader. Include ClientOrg's functionality in more aspects of YF. See for example https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/change-client_organisastion-without-logout.

It is really cumbersome to have to logout and login again just to change a clientorg. The same for security but that is an entirely other discussion :-).

You got my vote for this idea.

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

Hi Jurgen (JeRoen),

Some good comments here, I'll put something together and get this submitted to our development team as an Enhancement. I will update you having done this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Jurgen/JeRoen,

I'm in the process of getting this submitted as an Enhancement, I would like to put forward the following:

"We would like the option to have more freedom, flexibility and movement when it comes to content and client orgs, specifically relating to moving reports/dashboard (general content) from one client org to another.

As it stands we only have the export option, this is good however I am thinking more of a drag and approach or some sort of UI that allows us to move and have that little bit more freedom within the YF product."

Let me know if there is any additional information that needs to be added before I submit.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

A Drag-and-Drop function like the export sounds fine. But then do not export to a file, but to another organisation. That way you can move/copy between organisations. To take it a step further, it would also be nice to have a check on changes. If you want to use this as OTAP, it’s nice to check if an object is changed and what the last update is (latest version).

Jeroen his addition also sounds great, switching between organisations without doing a logout.

Regs, Jurgen

photo

Hi Jurgen,

Thank you for getting back to me and adding more information, would be be good with the following:

"We would like the option to have more freedom, flexibility and movement when it comes to content and client orgs, specifically relating to moving reports/dashboard (general content) from one client org to another.

As it stands we only have the export option, this is good however I am thinking more of a drag and approach or some sort of UI that allows us to move and have that little bit more freedom within the YF product."

Additional Information:

"In addition to the above we would be looking to have an export function that exports to another client org and not to your desktop. To take it a step further, it would also be nice to have a check on changes. If you want to use this as OTAP, it’s nice to check if an object is changed and what the last update is (latest version)"

Let me know if this is good to go.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

has this idea logged at development or do you wait for reply from me?

As you have phrased this, it's fine!

Regs, Jurgen

photo

Hi Jurgen,

I hope all is well and apologies for the delay in my response. I have yet to log this as an enhancement as I was awaiting confirmation of the content relating to this feature.

Because of this I will have this logged asap. I will let you know of any updates as and when I get them.

I hope this is ok Jurgen.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Jurgen,

Just an update I have gone ahead and logged as an Enhancement with our development team.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file