set a filter as inactive

Veronika Lackner shared this idea 4 years ago
Completed

Is there a possibility to set a filter as inactive without removing it from the filter-Panel?

For example some of your reports are tested by using just one employee to control the data and then we want to deactivate this one but don’t want to remove it because sometimes we want to reuse is.

It is very often used for testing the result of a filter and if you always have to remove one it is very user-unfriendly.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Veronika,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question.

I've gone ahead and submitted an enhancement request to developers on your behalf, to look into this possibility. The task has been attached to this ticket, and updates will be provided here as they are available. I'll go ahead and mark this as Idea Logged; feel welcome to reply here with further related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Veronika,

Hope you are well. This task has been marked as "Won't Do," with the following explanation -

what people could do in these cases is just add the filter and allot omit. That way you can test with it, and then ignore it if you don't want to use it.

If the filter ends up being bad, then you will remove it, and not really think about adding it again.

I think the real issue here is building a filter that is going to work, and not having the report cater for something using a bad filter, that bad filters shouldn't be there in the first place.

testing reports is always good, though that is what staging, report approvals are for.

In turn, I'll go ahead and mark this Idea as "Not Planned" at this point.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

many thank for the update.

It is no logically answer for me.

The idea of using an inactive filter was to disable such filter without removing them.

Some of our clients have set (just for testing the results) filter with defined values which are set to some employee numbers (or something else) and if they remove it they have to set it again if they have to change something in the report.

But they can not leave this filter because then the results are limited to those employees.

So an filter which can be leave in the filter panel but just be "inactive" would be a very nice help.

There is nothing with bad filters. The filter works.

So I think you have misunderstood my question.

Regards,

Veronika

photo

Hi Veronika,

Thanks for the update, I can understand where you are coming from with this enhancement request, perhaps my colleagues did not. I'll check to see if we can re-open this.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Veronika,

I can understand your use case, though unfortunately we don't have any immediate plans to address it.

I think the best thing you can do in this scenario is just make the filter user-entry, this will allow the people to 'omit' it until they have the data.

The people testing the report would know if they have data for the filter or not, so once they have the data they won't omit it, at the same time they can then go back into the report and switch the filter from user-entry to hard-coded values.

While I can understand this means going back in to edit the report once you have data, it would still be the same process to go back into the report and make a filter active.

No matter which way you look at it, you're looking at building a report for testing purposes with a filter that cannot be used just yet, so you are going to have to edit the report when it's ready to either make the filter active, or hard-code the values.

Sorry for the bad news on this, though believe the above process is your path forward.

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

I understand and I hope my client will understand this too.

Many thanks for this explanation.

It is not the answer I was expecting but okay.

Regards,

Veronika

photo

Not a problem, I know it can be difficult. Sometimes people are just used to things a certain way.

Please let us know if there was anything else I could 'attempt' to resolve.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file