Bulk delete users from a client organization

Shery Cheong shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

Hello. Is there a way to bulk delete users from a client organization in Yellowfin GUI Admin Console?

If not, is the only other way to do it via the YF database or SOAP calls?

Replies (3)

photo

HI Shery,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question. Taking a look at our archives, this a feature that looks to have been requested in the past -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/bulk-delete-users-via-the-admin-console-gui

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/bulk-role-update-for-users-in-yellowfin

I see one task remains open, while another is listed as "not planned," and recommends the two alternatives you previously mentioned as the workarounds here. Would you be interested in trying to follow up with this functionality request? If so, I can find out how we should re-visit this task.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, thanks for your response. If possible, I would like to follow up with the functionality request please.

photo

Would you also be able to direct me to the correct documentation to delete a user via the database? I was able to find it for web services (https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20709722).

photo

Hi Shery,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like you'd be best suited to subscribe and add a vote to this existing idea -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/bulk-delete-users-via-the-admin-console-gui

Here you can stay updated on the existing task's progress.

Also, as queries against the back-end are technically out-of scope for support, I can provide this info, but would need to convert this thread to a private ticket, just so users don't go doing this type of thing on their own. Just wanted to make sure this is okay?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, I will upvote the existing idea.

I am assessing different methods of accomplishing this in the meantime, and would be interested in learning about the backend queries route.Please do convert this to a private ticket as needed, thanks!

photo
photo

Hi Shery,

There is a few things here, and I understand Eric is looking into some of it for you.

However I wanted to take the change to jump in and better understand why you're trying to bulk delete users, and if there is a better way to action this.

E.g. Don't have to bulk delete users if they're inserted correctly in the first place. Don't have to bulk delete users if you can just delete the client org etc..

None of this will detract from anything we're currently looking into.

Thanks,David

photo

Hi David,

Currently, the majority of our user creation occurs via web service calls, and at times users are created for testing purposes or are otherwise no longer needed. I would prefer not to delete the client org each and every time as we will need to re-setup user groups, roles, default dashboards, etc.

photo
photo

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the reply here. I've gone ahead and added you as an affected client to our existing developer task. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I will in turn mark this ticket as Idea Logged.

Trying to understand the current workflow - currently in order to remove the users in bulk as desired, you are deleting the client organization and then re-configuring, as opposed to removing the users one by one in the admin console? Is there a reasons you're choosing this method? It just seems like it'd be easier the other way around?

Looking at the configuration DB, it's possible to remove users by changing the enddate value in the ipclass table to something in the past. Theoretically, you could identify the users' IPIDs and craft a query to adjust this enddate value - is this an alternative you'd be interested in exploring? Please practice due diligence and have working backups prior to querying the back-end, as it is technically beyond the scope of support.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Currently, we have accumulated a growing number of test users (close to 100) spread over a couple of client orgs in the backlog needed to be cleared out. I am considering either re-creating the client orgs or removing them one by one, whichever is most efficient.

I will discuss the config DB method with my DevOps team, but if that may be too risky, I will end up deleting them one by one in the YF UI.

photo

Thanks for the update, Sherry.

Please let me know how you decide to go forward here. I have you down for the enhancement in the meantime, and will keep you updated on that end via this ticket.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file