Submit custom-functions.xml changes without restarting Tomcat

Vishal Lahane shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi Team,

How I can add a new function without restarting tomcat. We wanted without restart of tomcat if there is anyway.

Thanks,Vishal

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for reaching out. The official, and only, recommended method for file updates is to restart the application. That said, if you look at the highest-voted response for How do I update a Tomcat webapp without restarting the entire service? here, you'll see there are technically a few options to accomplish this. After a cursory look probably the simplest one would be configuring your Context file to not lock various files, but if you do make that change I'd recommend rolling back any changes made to the Context file after making the changes to the custom-functions.xml file. I should also note none of these options are technically supported and are un-tested.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

But this has an overhead of ram and recommended that it should manage by the application itself.

Thanks,

Vishal

photo

Hi Vishal,

What I can do is change this from a question to an Idea item and submit an internal enhancement request for this. Other than that, I'm afraid there's not much more I can offer; the Wiki does state that a restart is required, I was just hoping one of the other possibilities in my previously supplied link may have been viable, but if altering the Context file would be better handled in the application itself, I can certainly submit this for the dev team to look into the possibilities of doing so... or some other method to submit these changes without a restart. Please let me know.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Did I want to know which way is better like handling this thing in the application itself or reloading the context of tomcat? I think the application should handle itself instead of the tomcat context reload.

if context reloading is the only option then I can write the script and which will allow me to quickly get working but if yellowfin is a plan to remove context reloading(the handle by watching file change in yellowfin application) this might be a good idea to submit.

Anyways please raise the idea that custom function should not have restart and context reloading depending if a user did some changes in a file.

Thanks,

Vishal

photo

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for your response. I was just giving potential methods to try and accomplish this external to Yellowfin. I'm not quite sure what would be the better way to handle it from a technical perspective, as such I've gone ahead and submitted an enhancement request for this to see what the dev team has to say regarding this. Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the updates. Can you just tell me what if I reload context what will be impact for yellowfin application.

Vishal

photo

Hi Vishal,

I'm unsure what the impact would be and it would take extensive testing to say with confidence one way or the other, and to my knowledge this has not been done before in the context of Yellowfin. If it's possible to test this in a dev environment first on your end, I'd recommend doing so. I'd also recommend making a copy of your entire application folder and backup of your configuration database (to be extra safe), just in case you need to roll back changes. With these precautions taken there's really nothing that could be plausibly be done that couldn't be undone.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file