Stacked column and line chart

Richard Wolters shared this idea 3 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi,

I've a question on how to build a chart with a stacked column and a line. Although I've selected the option for stacked and line I'm not able to see the individual stacked values of the metric. Option for 'colour' is greyed out. What am I doing wrong. See also the screenshots in the attachment

Is there a good example somewhere that I can use? Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Richard

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Richard,

Thanks for contacting Yellowfin! I'll look into this and see if I can find a good example for you. I'll let you know when I have an update.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Richard,

Have you chosen the correct data to be represented by each chart? Make sure the correct fields are added to the vertical axes and then click on the Series button at the top of the screen to choose each series and the particular chart to assign each one to.

From there you can also click on the 'Style' dropbown box, choose solid and then select the switch for a Custom Colour. Please see my screenshot as an example.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Still no succes. I'm using a subquery for the stacked metric and the main query for the line metric. Could this be causing it?

Regards,

Richard

photo

Hi Richard,

That could be it! Are you able to try creating a stacked chart without using a subquery? If that doesn't help, do you think you could send some more screenshots on how you've set up your report data and charts. It might be best to set up a remote session to try and identify the issue.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

I've been fiddling around some more: changed the data section to a single query. Every time I try to use colour for the stacked column I'm seeing: 'Choosing Vertical overlay as chartttype I’m getting Colour fields can not be applied to this chart when using multiple series'...

The individual values/colours for the stacked column is variable so I can't set up a column for each.

I tried to explain it a little more in the attachment.

Can this be achieved at all?

Best regards,

Richard

photo

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the additional information. It does appear that trying to use colours for stacked column charts in a combined chart is a limitation of that style. With more than one metric, applying colours would display individual lines and columns for all the descriptions. That limitation is by design to stop charts looking messy. I could get an enhancement requested if you would like to see the ability to apply colours to one metric and not the other in combined charts. However you could create two individual charts and then arrange them in a similar way in the design phase for the report.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Chris

f7ce1fa968eb4a25fab3060948a2fb3a

photo

Hi Chris,

Please do transform this into an enhancement request!

Best regards,

Richard

photo

Hi Richard,

I've gone ahead and done that for you and logged it under YFN-18886.

Hope that helps and we see it soon!

Kind regards

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file