Apply same access filter on multiple columns

Girish Kale shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

I've a data source based on oracle DB. The data source has a access filter named bl_site_id which is a SQL based filter. The query retrieves a bl_site_id from an application table for matching yellowfin user id.

There's a view on this data source. View has multiple tables having column bl_site_id. There exists a table parent_table which is a driving table. In this table too exists column bl_site_id. I've attached the bl_site_id access filter to the column bl_site_id in this table.

Now ive a reporting requirement where i want to filter data from another table called another_table apply the bl_site_id access filter on this table too. I want to do so, because i do not want to join the another_table to parent_table using bl_site_id.

I therefore want to attach bl_site_id access filter to another_table.bl_site_id too. In the view format under access filter option, I however, do not get bl_site_id listed in the drop down if i try to attach the bl_site_id access filter to another_table.bl_site_id. I however, see it under the parent_table.bl_site_id listing.

Can someone please throw some light on why I cannot attach bl_site_id filter to also some other column.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Girish Kale

BMC Software

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Girish,

I don't know the exact reason that you can apply the same access filter only once within one Yellowfin view, however I will try and find out if it is very important to you (I should warn you that it mightn't even be possible to find this out if the original specification is gone and so is the original developer), but suffice to say I know that it is not a bug because it has always been that way for many years now. I imagine that it could simply be that many years ago the scenario that you have described didn't occur to the developer(s) involved in the Access Filter functionality, or maybe it is not technically possible.

More importantly, does your customer consider this a high priority requirement? If so then please let me know and I'll raise an enhancement request for you.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Girish,

I'm taking this ticket over for Big Dave, so I'm just checking in here to see if you could provide feedback on Big Dave's questions here.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Girish,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since we haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hello,

I do have the same question. As all tables are joined together in the view I solved it by hiding all instances of this field except one. This gets the result we want but performance wise it is not the best solution.

I have report that are getting the data from only 1 table in a view but because the field with access filter is in another table a join is done while this is not directly necessary. I set the "optimize view" option in the view on true to prevent unnecessary joins. Having the access filter on multiple fields would result in a better performance IMHO.

But there might have been other considerations.

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

Hi JeRoen,

Unfortunately, as stated here, I'm afraid we can't really get an answer on why the current functionality was chosen to to work this way, but when I could do is change this to an Idea ticket and raise an enhancement request for this to see what the dev team comes back with if you'd like. Please let me know.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi JeRoen,

Just marking this back to Answered as I haven't heard back from you, but if you provide feedback on my latest response I'll be happy to submit.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hello Mike,

Please submit as an enhancement to see what dev comes up with. Thank you.

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

Hi JeRoen,

Great, thanks for confirming. I've gone ahead and changed this to an Idea ticket and submitted an internal enhancement request and added both clients in this ticket to our client list of those who'd like to see this enhancement implemented.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Any update on this.

photo

Hi Vikas,

This enhancement hasn't been considered further yet, but I've gone ahead and added you to the client list of those looking for this enhancement in our internal task, which can assist in getting this looked at sooner. Any potential updates regarding this will be posted in this Idea item.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file