Can YF work within the AWS Auto Scaled Service?

jim fuller shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

This is not a pressing issue for me at this time full disclosure. But as an implementer, I'd like to know if YF has a take or recommendation on how to approach an architecture that would allow it to work in an AWS auto scaled architecture, realizing that it may take manipulation of hostnames and a limit to the number of hosts in an auto scaled group by the number of YF licenses purchased.

Thanks for your time.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reaching out with this.

Yellowfin does technically work with the auto scaled service. However, Yellowfin doesn't necessarially scale down well with this service. The load balancer used by AWS successfully allocates users to nodes when scaling up. When attempting to scale down, AWS' load balancer doesn't seem to be able to reallocate these users efficiently. This could result in some users being kicked out of their session as a node is shut down.

Please let me know if this information was useful or if I misunderstood the question.

Thanks,

Jared

photo

Good insight on the load balancing.

But as far as the licensing goes for a clustered architecture on the AWS auto scaling service. Since a special license has to be requested of YF with hostnames written to the license file, I need to have a specific number of licensed nodes in that file, with host names preconfigured in the cluster nodes that match the hostnames in the license.

For example, let's say I had 4 nodes in a YF cluster. Because auto scaling terminates instances, and recreates them with new hostnames, they become invalidated from the clusters license... I assume. Therefore my auto scale-out event works, but the YF server is inaccessible due to invalid hostnames in the license, because each hostname is randomly created by AWS in a scale out event.

So the only configuration I see with AWS autoscaling in a YF cluster is to prevent instance termination on the 4 nodes (because hostnames are stuck to the license file). Or another possibility is to modify the hostnames of a newly launched server to make sure matched up with an "available" hostname in the license file.

Just to clarify my use case. I need the ability to scale in and scale out YF nodes to save on AWS costs for instances, traffic, and storage. Therefore I need to consider AWS auto scaling.

If anyone has experience autoscaling a YF cluster, give me a shout. Thanks.

photo

Hi Jim,

Yellowfin can scale without issues in AWS, irrespective of nodes/environments added.

However as you've alluded to, there may be a need for a clustered licence type which will count nodes, rather than identify hostnames.

All of this is possible.

In order to take this conversation further we would need to put you in touch with our CSM team who can outline the licence types and associated costs, shall we pass along your email address for someone to contact you?

Thanks,

David

photo

Ah yes, that does answer the question. I didn't realize node count was an option on license type. Thanks for that David.

photo

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear David was able to answer your question.

I'll go ahead and mark this as 'Answered'. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions or issues.

Thanks,

Jared

Leave a Comment

Attach a file