Can a calculated field reference a calculated field?

PS Parmar shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

So if one creates a calculated field as part of a report, can one then create another calculated field that references the first one? When I tried, the first calculated field did not appear among the columns available in the design dialog box (the first calculated field is already part of the report design). Seems counterintuitive as this is not an issue in other BI programs. I'd be as surprised if one couldn't use a function as an argument to a function.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Replies (2)

photo

Hi PS,

Thanks for reaching out. You should indeed be able to reference pre-existing Calculated Fields in subsequent Calculated Fields. The field list should look something like this:

/5857bfe75c562577082d10ab76c34944

Do you not see a section for Calculated Fields? Or, is it there but the CF selections are grayed out?

What version/build of Yellowfin are you on? You can find this information under Application Details in your info.jsp file, which can be accessed by appending '/info.jsp' to your login URL. For example, localhost:8080/info.jsp. You can also find this info under Administration > System Information.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thank you, Mike.

I was trying to implement the calculation for the field via Freehand SQL, and it kept giving me the error that a column with the calculated fields name does not exist (even though it is a column in the report view).

I do see that in Simple mode, the calculated field is available. My predilection for SQL steered me wrong!

photo

Haha, no problem. Indeed, you cannot reference Calculated Fields in the Freehand SQL builder since what freehand does is just pass the query directly to your RDBMS for execution, which means that the tables/columns already have to exist in the db itself.

This considered, do you have any follow-up questions or are we okay to close this case out?

Regards,

MIke

photo

Thanks, Mike. Please feel free to close the case.

Regards,

PS

photo

Hi PS,

Thanks for confirming. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file