Change table name of table in published view

Bryan Mack shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

We have a handful of dimension & fact tables across multiple YF views (used by many production reports & dashboards) where we have a business need to change the table names. The table structures remain the same. Can I change the table name in the view without having to rebuild the views and/or reports?

We use Oracle, so if synonyms can come into play to assist us here, that's an option as well. I'm just trying to determine the scope of this project before I dive in to development.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for reaching out. Do you mean simply changing the Display Name for the table from the Model Stage of the View Editor?

/388f3a845008a56b3a1d3e52cbe4d87d

If so, then yes, the changes will be picked up automatically in the reports:

/cadf7c3ebd7009019d9eba9eb606d41a

If you're referring to something other than changing the Display Name, please specify what specifically is being changed.

Regards,

Mike

photo

not the display name, the name the table will actually be in the Oracle database

photo

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your response. So if you change the table name from the back-end, if you head back into the View Builder, you'llsee the following:

/b6858b5ac06c96415c4d3a228ec281af

You'll click 'Rename' and change the name:

/4ac9003ce830316d73d7531eae07b202

Click 'Save' and all good now:

/4faad0ecb5a34a44f88d569c00b23a68

And changes are picked up automatically in reports:

/688706ae3ae7add8ec7fb5ef83306e83

I checked a couple other reports to confirm as well. There is one potential problem to look out for though. In one of my reports I saw this:

/ab712ad74093e2d6a5d093ed2a402387

I went into the report and found out this was being generated by a Freehand SQL Calculated Field I had:

/0ec5262c45524769da2bff801a111617

Which is of course static, and now incorrect. If I change it to 'dateint_tbl2' it then works. If you don't use this feature you won't have to worry about it, but if you do, it's certainly something to check existing reports for. I should also probably note that Standard builder Calculated Field's will be updated, however. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike! We may have some calculated fields, so I'll watch out for that "gotcha". Full steam ahead on this project!

photo

Hi Bryan,

You're welcome. Please be sure to make a backup before making any changes, just in case. I'll go ahead and close this case out for now, all considered, but should you run into any issues after making these changes please don't hesitate to reach back out for further assistance.

Regards,

Mike

photo

This is working fine, except in one case where a table (with the same structure and name) exists in multiple schemas, but I need it fully qualified. So I need to change the table name of the source (see attached) to add a schema qualification. How can I change the source name of a valid object in a view, while keeping all joins and such the same? For example, in the attachment, I need "F_USS_PRJ_FNDNG" TO READ "ODM"."F_USS_PRJ_FNDNG". How can I accomplish this? Changing the display name doesn't do what I need.83143290deea025d1d3d236bba1a2b23

"ODM"."F_USS_PRJ_FNDNG"

photo

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your response. If you head into your Data Source's Connection Settings, you should see an option called 'Include Schema in SQL':

/dd57ce374463d6b40177104b670b90b0

This will make it so that the tables' corresponding schema will be prepended to the table name in the SQL queries, e.g. "ODM". This was designed specifically for cases such as these where there's a shared table name between two different schemas. Please toggle this option on then restart Yellowfin and let me know how goes.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Bryan,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Bryan,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since I haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Oh, sorry! I used this method to make our change to production, worked like a charm. Thanks!

photo

Hi Bryan,

No problem. Thanks for letting us know!

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file