Remember Filter Values on Dashboards

Jess Bugarin shared this problem 4 years ago
Resolved

How do I set Dashboards to remember user's filter selections so they are what is used next time the user loads the dashboard?

I have this on reports, in the Filter screen, Filter Formatting, Actions, "Remember Filter Values". But I can't find this option on the Dashboard filter screen.

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Jess,

Thanks for reaching out. There is no equivalent of "Remember Filter Values" at the Dashboard level. By default, values are remembered on the dashboard until the user session is ended. I.e., if you search for a value, then head into another Dashboard, then back to the one where you previously searched and applied a value, you should still see that value there when you head back to it. If you logout, then log back in, the filter values should then be reset. This is so that when other users who have access to the same dashboard don't see filter values applied by another user and to avoid issues with not realizing certain filters have already been applied. If you want to have certain values appear by default, you can configure Default Values at the report level. Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Jess,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

I thought the "remember filter values" setting was on a per user basis. So if I open a report, filter it, run it, then come back in a week I'll see those same values. But if someone else goes into it tomorrow, they won't see the filter values I set, and next week I won't see the ones they set.

This is what I'm looking for on dashboard. I want Manager A to be able to filter the dashboard by their name or department and get their data only, and then when they log in next Monday it still shows them only their data. They don't have to wait for the whole company to load, and then filter it, every time they go to the dashboard. But Manager B will get the whole company, or it will remember their last filtered value (independently of Manager A).

I want the dashboard to be global, but each user's individual experience shouldn't always be at that global level. And I shouldn't need to build the same identical dashboard for every department or manager in order for them to not have to filter it every time it loads.

photo

Hi Mike,

I also see some enhancement raised in the past:

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-saving-dashboard-filters-thread-109082

Can you please confirm if it is for the same requirement.

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Jess/Bharath,

While the linked thread makes reference to the fact that "this isn't supported on the dashboard as yet", this isn't actually an Idea ticket and none currently exists.

Jess, thanks for explaining your idea. We actually have a defect logged for this, but I don't think this is actually a defect though. I'm quite confident this was done on purpose so users never make the mistake of not realizing a filter value's been changed, but I could be wrong. What I'm going to do for now is set this to Defect Logged and link to that task and request an update from the dev team confirming whether this is actually intended behavior or not. I'll keep you posted on that.

Ultimately though, your Idea for how you'd like this to work is largely covered by some combination of Client Orgs and Access Filters - these would apply to the data each user has access to, at least. I should probably note though that the configuration of these is not something that Support can really assist with, however. That would fall more in the realm of Consulting. This considered, it's just the Remember Filter Values aspect that would need to be changed for values to be remembered on the dashboard regardless of data access, so this is the aspect I'll be chasing up on in the internal task.

Regards,

Mike

photo

I voted for this here as there is no idea subject ...

I would also like this feature. We wanted to use clientorg's but our security model is too complex to make it work with clientorg's. An alternative would be to use access filters but that would require to choose a hospital (organizational unit) for every dashboard or report. No problem if the last choosen one is remembered like with reports.

Also I do not understand the reasoning to not have it remember filter values for dashboard but do exactly that for reports as it should be to difficult for users to remember they filtered the dashboard. The same issue might be there for reports. And if it might be an issue choose a different soluction (like giving the Filter icon a different color if filters are filled in or something).

Regard,

JeRoen

photo

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if the new Dashboard Bookmark feature in upcoming Version 9 might be able to provide what you're looking for here?

a0757f3c69c0f5c90e13552740cb84eb

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Jess,

You can find the requested task in this public Idea -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/dashboard-filters-to-remember-user-selection-like-they-do-at-report-level

Feel welcome to follow that thread for additional updates on this.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file