Append Filter on Previous Period to Current

Dwayne shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hey Guys,

I have a report with a user prompt filter which has a default setting of pre-defined period 'Last Calendar Month'. So they can change it to a custom range if required.

Trying to build out a report to show the performance gains/losses against a previous period.

I have the primary filter set with the pre-defined period 'Last Calendar Month', I am trying to figure out a way of linking the secondary filter in the append to the primary query with dynamic date adjustment.

ie count the days in the primary filter range, then subtract that from the secondary filter dates ExampleLast calendar month was December 1-31 (31 days)

So the benchmarked period would be Oct 31 - Nov 30

Alternatively benchmarking it against the calendar months Dec vs Nov ignoring the day diff

So far I can only see the ability to link and then hardcode in a diff # days/weeks/months etc

Replies (8)

photo

To clarify, I am seeking a feature that works similar in Custom Date filter in Google Analytics/ Ads / Data Studio etc

Custom Date Range Comparison -> Previous Period (Day count)

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010052?hl=en

photo

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for reaching out. Typically, advanced report creation queries such as these fall more in the realm of Consulting, but I'm happy to take a quick look at this and provide some pointers if able. It looks like you've gotten to the result you wanted using hardcoded filters... as such, can you show me what you've done up to this point using this method (via a few screenshots perhaps)? It's easier for me to work backwards in Yellowfin, and also think of alternate methods (as in not hard coding), once I see the desired end result. Seeing how to achieve one possible solution as appears to be the case here, would be useful as well.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hey Mike

Thank you for the follow up,

I am trying to build a business case to move from Data Studio to Yellowfin, hopefully we can achieve what we need

Here is an example of the dashboard we are use to (screenshot below), with a primary date range which drives the reports below, where applicable will show either a # or % diff change with a color indicator.

I can figure out how to do this with hardcoded filters, just not the making the comparison range dynamic based on the primary filter.

Video walking through an example in yellowfin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M9OEvxM65r6TD6jTm7kNend0cOhoXT3X/view

e88574d6eba47722242167d40fdc73b5

photo

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for your response and providing the requested details. We're looking into this further on our end and will reach out to discuss further shortly.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Checking in, is the function possible with Yellowfin? ie dynamic append benchmark date filters based on selected reporting periods selected in the primary report (Compare to previous period)

Had a few missed calls from your sales reps for which I have been in meetings, just really need a yes / no, if yes what is the process

photo

Hi Dwayne,

I suspect what you're asking is possible to achieve, it's just a matter of scripting a SQL query and setting up the report in the appropriate manner to obtain said result. I'm afraid the exact method to accomplish this though falls outside the scope of Support. Typically, the distinction here is Support is primarily here to keep Yellowfin up-and-running and replicate and log potential defects while Consulting is here to maximize business value - help build reports based on client data, for one example. Hope this makes sense, but I'm afraid the most I can really say is that yes, I suspect what you're after is possible, it just may not be so simple to accomplish. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Dwayne,

I just wanted to check in and see if you had any follow-up questions to my previous reply or if we're okay to close this case out for now.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Dwayne,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since I haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file