Metric data type supported in ring but not in vertical stacked column

Mandy Howard shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Ring configuration:

• color = record type (this is a metric; calculated field then grouped data)
  • size = # of records

Stacked vertical column configuration:

• horizontal = record date
  • vertical = # of records
  • color = here is where I want to also use "record type" but getting an error that this needs to be numeric -- why is that?

We have the need to use text values as categories in stacked column charts -- why does this need to be numeric?

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Mandy,

If you convert your data into cross-tab format you should be able to apply dimension columns as the coloring in a stacked bar chart. Unfortunately many functions such as this are limited by the Java libraries we use to generate the charts. This is why we are introducing Javascript charts in 7.3+, which will allow you to employ any of the many charting libraries available to create custom visualizations with your data (google charts, d3, leaflet, etc).

Sorry for the inconvenience here and please let me know if you are able to get this to work.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

We found this but when we did this then we are unable to use "record type" for the ring chart color. Is that expected?

photo

Hi Mandy,

I am a little confused as to how your report is being set-up. Can you please send me a screen-shot of your data tab (any other screenshots or videos you can provide would also be very helpful)?

Unfortunately to achieve both of your results in the same visualization, it may be necessary to create these charts in separate reports, and then combine them through the "co-display" setup.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if you are still running into trouble, or if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file