Ability to create custom date periods

Madhurima shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi Yellowfin,

You provided an excellent pre-defined date field filters in yellowfin. As per our requirement we need few more pre-defined data time fields like "Last 6 Calendar months", " Last 9 calendar months". Is there any method to add our customised pre-defined fields.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Madhurima,

I hope all is well and apologies for the delay in responding. I have since looked into this further and we have a number of options;

1. Idea/Enhancement raised for "Last 6 Calendar months"
  2. Idea/Enhancement raised for "Last 9 Calendar months"
  3. Idea/Enhancement raised for the "Ability to create custom date periods" - As mentioned in my previous post.

With the above options I have gone ahead and created Ideas/Enhancements along with converting this current ticket to an Idea for the "Ability to create custom date periods"

Please see below links to these:

Despite the above steps taken I can also offer you a potential workaround;

• Create 2 date filters on the report.
  • Have the first filter as user-entry.
  • Have the 2nd filter as 'link to filter' - 6 months
  • This report will then be a hard coded 'Last 6 months' .

0b5179561d159847200d28c09c364e0f

4bbb10edfbc19aa5d2555ed263371cab

I do want to make you aware that the only problem with this workaround is that you will have to set reports with set periods. See attached images showing this along with a report export for you to import as an example (SKI Team Data). I hope this is ok Madhurima and with this I look forward to your reply.

Regards,Mark

Replies (20)

photo

Hi Madhurima,

I hope all is well,

Unfortunately the only available pre-defined periods that we offer are those that you can already see. Looking into this further I can see that we have raised this idea before with the title of Ability to create custom Pre-Defined Date Ranges. Would this be of an interest to you? if so I can place some notes within this ticket to help push for this in our future build releases. Let me know what you think and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Mark

photo

This is an important requirement for all our reports. Request you to resolve this issue as early as possible with a feature build.

photo

Hi Madhurima,

I hope all is well and apologies for the delay in responding. I have since looked into this further and we have a number of options;

1. Idea/Enhancement raised for "Last 6 Calendar months"
  2. Idea/Enhancement raised for "Last 9 Calendar months"
  3. Idea/Enhancement raised for the "Ability to create custom date periods" - As mentioned in my previous post.

With the above options I have gone ahead and created Ideas/Enhancements along with converting this current ticket to an Idea for the "Ability to create custom date periods"

Please see below links to these:

Despite the above steps taken I can also offer you a potential workaround;

• Create 2 date filters on the report.
  • Have the first filter as user-entry.
  • Have the 2nd filter as 'link to filter' - 6 months
  • This report will then be a hard coded 'Last 6 months' .

0b5179561d159847200d28c09c364e0f

4bbb10edfbc19aa5d2555ed263371cab

I do want to make you aware that the only problem with this workaround is that you will have to set reports with set periods. See attached images showing this along with a report export for you to import as an example (SKI Team Data). I hope this is ok Madhurima and with this I look forward to your reply.

Regards,Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Any update on this becoming available in the future? The suggested workaround doesn't help in scenarios where I want to get the exact last 3 calendar weeks or the exact last 11 calendar weeks. Since it goes back exactly 3x7 days or 11x7 days, but often you need to go back 3x7 days or 11x7 days from the start of the current week (or rather end of the last week) to get the previous full calendar weeks. The only way to do this now is with Date Functions like Week Start Date, but that means that sql can no longer use the date index and will do a full table scan, with large data sets this means a several minute load time for just a few weeks worth of data.

The other solution that would solve this issue would be allowing the user to define something else besides the "Current Date" in the dynamic date selection, like last week end, current week start, last month end, last month start, same with quarters, years etc.

Best,

Hans

photo

Hi Hans,

I hope all is well and apologies for the delay in responding. I have looked at the status of this ticket in JIRA and so far as of yet we have no movement. With this I have placed some notes to say that you have questioned where we stand with this. Hopefully our dev team can take action on this as I understand the need to have such an option.

Apologies for not bringing good news. If you have any issues with this then please do not hesitate to inform me of this as I will happily assist where I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hey Mark,

I have been following this topic occasionally and would like to +1 this idea. It would really enhance the user experience for some of our clients report builders. Hope that this helps increase the priority.

photo

Hi Bram,

I hope all is well,

I have made your comments heard within JIRA. Hopefully this will help push to be looked at by our dev team.

If you need to question this any further please do not hesitate any further.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

I have searched around topics, but this 2 years issue without implementation yet.

Can you please ask Dev team to add:

Today Minus 1 Month

Today Minus 30 days

Today Minus 1 Week

Today Minus 7 Days

Today Minus 90 Days

Please add many as you can, then users can hide/ show in Admin Console.

Regards,

Kevin

photo

Hi Kevin,

I hope all is well,

I have gone ahead and added this request to the ticket that we have logged with our development team.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

It's been two years since I've inquired about this, I can find threads asking for this functionality from 2011, that's 9 years ago.

Is there any hope for this feature coming to Yellowfin?

Because I keep running into this problem every so often, and the workarounds just don't cut it.

photo

Hi Hans,

I come with bad news... Unfortunately no progress has been made with this enhancement request. Our only options at this point would be to use the solutions suggested.

Apologies for this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

This is very unfortunate. For us, the main one missing is last 6 months and previous 6 months... It would be nice to have at least a variable in the number of months (i.e. Last N Months...)

photo

Hi Zack,

I will make my team leader aware of this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Mark,

Is there any traction with this?

photo

Hi Zack,

From what we can see within this ticket we have 3 Ideas raised;

Unfortunately no movement as of yet... Our only options around this are with the options provided in our previous posts.

Let me know your thoughts on this, as I would be happy to take this further by reaching out to Account Managers etc.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Mark,

These only work when you want it hardcoded. It is not ideal... I have also looked at a couple of topics I am involved in and I believe the are/can be related;

There are a lot of Ideas centered around Calendar manipulation... This means people value flexibility in determining date ranges with data. Yellowfin has done great with the options they have provided. I am just hoping this will continued to be improved upon.

Thank you for your help with this! Hopefully with all these ideas, a few fixes might help alleviate them!

-Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

Thank you for getting back to me... Yes we have lots of ideas, suggestions and discussions around calendar manipulation, however no updates as of yet for this requested ticket. Going forward though, i'll continue to update where I can and please do not hesitate to requests updates. Happy to help where I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo
photo

Mark,

It seems there are a lot of people who are interested in these enhancements. Is there anything on the roadmap to alleviate any of these requests?

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

I hope all is well, it's been a good few months since we last touched on this, with this I have since looked at the status of this and as of yet no solid updates to give, although I have chased this up at my end and made our development team aware.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

I wanted to share an idea of one possible way to solve the issue. The current date value keeps changing, so it doesn't give the possibility of what is needed. If you could replace the dynamic date's current date with last week's (month's) start or end date, it would be possible to set up dynamic date filters. Please see attached screenshot "custom dates.PNG"

Üllar

photo

Hi,

6 years later and a lot of similar ideas, is there any progress?

Hard coded date intervals/periods are not a good product design. Are you becoming more flexible?

;) Stefan

photo

Hi Stefan,

I hope all is well,

Yes, 5 years since this was submitted and interest from clients to have said feature, however no updates to give on this as of yet.

Going forward with this we can escalate and discuss further with the wider team. With this if you can inform me of your Account Manager here at Yellowfin that would be great.

Regards,

Mark

photo

I also been in major need of this flexibility!

Nathalia Bosak is my account manager...

photo

Hi Zack,

I have made your account manager aware of this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Just adding to this to let YellowFin know that this feature is in hot demand. We actually only need last month and previous 6 months as pre-defined options. So please can this be implemented.

Thank you

Liv

photo

Hi Liv,

I hope all is well,

Thank you for raising this with us. I have made our wider team aware of this interest for you. No solid updates on this as of yet, however I will update as often as I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file