Bulk user import

Ullar Unt shared this problem 4 years ago
Resolved

Hi,

There is a small issues with bulk user import. I am using the query to populate bulk user CSV file as mentioned here: https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-bulk-user-import-thread-106260 and then importing users to new environment uploading the file. However, there seems to be issue with passwords, because when users try to log in new environment with their old environment username and password, the password is not valid. If to reset it through user page, they are able to log in.

My question is, what could be problem that old password which is valid in old environment is not valid in new one after import? How to fix it?

I will be waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

Üllar Unt

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Ullar,

Thanks for reaching out. Upon testing, I can confirm the behavior you're experiencing. I'm not sure what the current expected behavior for this is, but I'd think that at the very least the desired result of exporting/importing the same hash would allow the original password to still be input and accepted. However, based on the method in which the hash is generated, this may simply not be a possibility.

Either way, I've gone ahead and logged a defect for this so I can obtain feedback from the dev team on what is to be expected based on the way we generate the password hashes. I'll keep you posted with any updates here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thanks, will be waiting for additional information then. Meanwhile, is there any way possible that i can send users note (e-mail) to mention link to new environment and also temporary password that when user clicks on it, it will automatically asks it to change? Is there any bulk e-mail notification possibilities? or messaging, when user logs in to environment, it would pup up the message box to address desired text? Because in such way would be possible to generate temporary passwords to users and get them informed about its change.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

üllar Unt

photo

Hi Ullar,

Thanks for your response. There is a Web Service call called RESETPASSWD that resets a user's Yellowfin account and prompts them to change their password, but unfortunately this function is currently broken (it only resets the admin users account who's actually running the ws call). There's also a pre-existing Idea to reset all user passwords by some other method, which you can reference here.

However, I did think of a workaround. If you head to Configuration > Authentication > Password Settings, you can turn on the Show Forgot Password Link option:

/eeb192904d96a1df7edb9e077778fc29

This will make it so users see the Forgot Password on their login page and when they click it they'll receive a link to reset their password.

You'll have to head into Email settings and configure the following options though first to ensure users are actually sent the email:

/c0f6443bab255b0eb50bfb0eeb1a3e74

Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thank you, this workaround is good, though it is not solving the initial problem. However, i have activated this option and anyway it is better than nothing. Thanks!

Best regards,

Üllar Unt

photo

Hi Ullar,

Thanks for confirming. Yes, this is a workaround for the RESETPASSWD option, while I believe the aforementioned Idea ticket would fully cover your actual request. This considered, I'll close out this request, but you can follow that idea item for any potential items regarding that. I also added you to the client list in our enhancement request of those looking for said functionality.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file