Deleted Broadcasts

Maja shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hello,

We had around 70 broadcasts deleted from a single report. Is there a way to find out who did that (as broadcast table only has last modifier, and that apparently doesn't include deletion), and is there a way to revive them (there is an end date field in broadcast table, but changing that alone is not enough for broadcast to be active again).

Thanks,

Maja

Replies (6)

photo

We discovered that the reason why end date is not enough is taskschedule table - apparently, when broadcast is deleted, it gets deleted from this table (though it has schedule-is-on field - is there any way to make it not delete but just update that field to false for the future?). Issue with this table is UUID of last run and schedule - we can just add random UUID, but we don't know if that's used somewhere and what would happen if UUID gets duplicated. Please let me know if there's anything we can do here.

Thanks,

Maja

photo

Hi Maja,

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust how records are removed from the configuration database. Generally deletions are accompanied by "are you sure" messages, so Yellowfin will do a bit of cleanup, though in this case it does seem to orphan these records in the rare case a restoration is needed.

Regarding UUID's , in Yellowfin these are generated randomly with no consideration for currently existing duplicates (because the chances are incredibly small). I would say that you are safe to add your own.

One useful tool here is debug logging. If you enable debug logging (be sure to clear out before and after), you can see exactly what queries yellowfin is running during the broadcast deletion. This should allow you to figure out if there is anything else that needs to be restored. I would offer to do this but we have been very busy these last couple weeks, so the exploratory stuff has been put on hold. If you would like me to look into this let me know and I can probably make time at some point in the next couple of days.

Additionally, no it is not possible to figure out who this was :/.

Hope this helps, let me know your thoughts.

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for the insight! I was able to restore one broadcast by generating random UUIDs and inserting it manually to taskschedule table, and it seems to work.

We will try to find some workaround by setting some reports in place to keep a closer eye on existing broadcasts, unusual number of deleted ones, and who accessed the report at the time when reports were deleted.

Thanks,

Maja

photo

Hi Maja,

Sounds good, let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan

Is there a way to find out which user has deleted a broadcast ?

When a broadcast is created, I can see a corresponding record created in the Event table with eventcode RPTBROADCASTCREATE, and when deleting a broadcast, I can only see corresponding records getting removed from taskschedule and modified in the reportbroadcast table based on the debug logs.

Would there be a way to establish who deleted the broadcast?

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have seen that you have raised this as a new questions so I will mark this question as answered and use the new question to respond to this question.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

Leave a Comment

Attach a file