Stacked Total decimal places to follow column formatting

Chad Miller shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

Normal data labels in a stacked bar chart round to the same amount of decimal places as are specified from the column formatting in the data tab.

It would be nice if the stacked total rounded.5b11d6439a15a528e910dbb434f203d3

Replies (8)

photo

Perfect.

I know that this is no longer critical to your content, but wanted to update you for consistency. After testing and thinking more about the stacked total label functionality, I am beginning to think that this is more of an enhancement than bug. However I do think that there should be some consistency between the labeling (this only applies to stacked totals), so I am going to convert this into an idea and remove my defect ticket. If the product teams determines that it is actually a bug we can treat it in the normal fashion.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delays on this, what you've shown is actually a defect. The total should follow the same decimal format as the columns it's based on. I've run some tests in 7.3 and 7.3+ and unable to get my total to differ.

Is there something I'm missing here? See examples below, otherwise are you using an older release (if so, which release?) .

94b17a05915946a4a8fd7058322bf2f8

5c424c8751aee84528baf7d2902643f4

e2f8941192cade161c725bad3e0779dd

Thanks,

David

photo

I just got done upgrading to 7.3+, I was on 7.3 latest release, and it's still the same result. I'm not sure what else to show you. I can show two more pictures but they look the same the data is rounded and the totals are not. If you want to do a screen share sometime we can set that up.

photo

Hey David,

I have attached an export containing a replication of this issue. Note how one metric is rounded to a single decimal while the other is rounded to an integer, yet the stacked total goes out to three decimal points.

The desire here is to have the stacked total round to the same value as the most specific metric, which to me seems like an enhancement.

Hope this clears things up, give a call if not!

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thanks Nathan

However, if I have both rounded to integer I still get 3 decimals. They don't have to be different so this could be enhancement and a bug. I would be curious if it happens in the above file.

photo

Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delay here. We have officially determined that this is an enhancement and have raised it as such :)

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Any progress/update on this topic?

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hi Kalaiselvan,

We're doing something along these lines for 7.4.11 and 8.1, though in relation to combo charts.

I've added some notes for this to be looked at alongside the combo chart change. Have not heard back as yet, though expect to hear something in the coming weeks, and we will keep you posted.

Thanks,

David

photo

Thanks David for the update :-)

photo

Hi Kalaiselvan,

So this has been reviewed, and is different from the change going into 8.1.

However we've come to the conclusion that stacked totals should round to the most specific value. So if one column is rounded to 1 point, and the second to 2, the stacked would round to 2.

In most cases people would have the same decimal places anyway.

It won't make it into 7.4.11 or 8.1, though hopefully not too long after that.

Sorry it's still vague! Though hope this provides some sort of value :)

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your clarification. Yes, as you mentioned most of the cases using one metric and will be one format, the same should be applied in stacked total as well.

Expecting this to be available soon. Since this issue we are not using this option even this one is required for us.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo
photo

Hi Guys,

Glad to report this request has now been implemented in 8.0.4, stacked totals will now round with the most specific precision among all sections within the bar.

Please let me know how it all goes post upgrade.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file