Is there a way to capture user activity for when a user exports a report

Michael shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Is there a way to capture user activity for when a user exports a report

Replies (12)

photo

Hello Michael,

Thank you reaching out to us.

I'm not sure which type of export you are referring to (e.g. export the report for import into another system or exporting the report data to excel), so hopefully I can provide an answer to both.

All activity is stored within the Yellowfin Configuration database in a table called 'event'.

Exporting to a document (PDF, XLSX, DOCX)

When exporting to a document these are recorded against the event type of 'REPORT' and the event code 'EXPORT' (seen below), with the event data is it possible to see the name of the file, the date is was exported and the document type. You could then join the IpSouce column to person.IpPerson to retrieve the user that has completed this action.

/a99fc9efaa378f8faf9d7e2f6a8f8189

Exporting the report to yfx

When using the admin function to export a report and its dependents for import to another system or to backup the report this process is also audited in the events table. In this scenario the event type is 'EXPORT' and depending on what you are exporting you will see one of the different event codes below:

• EXPORTREPORT
  • EXPORTSUBCATEGORY
  • EXPORTCATEGORY
  • EXPORTVIEW
  • FILEXPORT

/9b547fce3d1fdc7e7882eba429a3119b

Again from this you can join this to the person table to find out who completed this action.

I would recommend looking at the Audit Content Package found in the Yellowfin Market Place as this contains pre-built views that would allow you to build reports on this data to help with your monitoring.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Than you for that, but is there any way to capture this activity in a log file?

Regards

Michael Lucchese

Infrastructure Manager

Integrum Management Systems Pty Ltd.

68-70 Mentmore Avenue, Rosebery, NSW 2018, Australia

M: +61 401 416 003  Website: http://www.integrumsystems.com

7a26e0f6b51844e4b2776c2e6597c771

"IBM Domino/Notes in the right hands is a powerful collaborative tool. In the wrong hands it's just Outlook"

To:        "Michael" <michael@integrumsystems.com>

Date:        03/12/2019 09:03 PM

Subject:        [Awaiting Reply] Is there a way to capture user activity for when a user exports a report

photo

Hello Michael,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have added the link below that explains the different logs available what is held within them.

What are all the Yellowfin Logs

I have looked through my own log files to see if it is possible to find this information but the logs show details in to the following way

YF:2019-12-03 09:50:01: INFO (MIExportAction:processActionPerform) -  MIExportAction entered

This would allow you to see when an export has occurred but not the detail of it.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Yes i saw that too, would have been nice to see more details for auditing and forensic purposes

Regards

Michael Lucchese

Infrastructure Manager

9240f6da795e3b3a4cb34027369086d8

"IBM Domino/Notes in the right hands is a powerful collaborative tool. In the wrong hands it's just Outlook"

Date:        04/12/2019 10:39 PM

Subject:        New Comment in "Is there a way to capture user activity for when a user exports a report"

photo

Hello Michael,

If you could tell me what you would like to be within a log for this purpose and I can raise an idea on your behalf to see if this is an change we can make in the future.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Thanks Nathan

Basically, date, time, username, report name that the export took place

Regards

Michael Lucchese

Infrastructure Manager

92aa6396ed2d1b3b89f8e5c103e7e860

Date:        05/12/2019 08:15 PM

Subject:        New Comment in "Is there a way to capture user activity for when a user exports a report"

photo

Hi Michael,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Before a raise this as an idea to increase the detail stored in the logs, can I ask why you would like to do this via a log file rather than getting this data from event table which already contains this? I only ask so that I fully understand your use case.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

It was a requirement from one of our clients, for forensic purposes

Regards

Michael Lucchese

Infrastructure Manager

d4f7d8d5781724b8a5ad83325dc18833

Date:        05/12/2019 08:39 PM

photo

Hi Michael,

I am happy to raise this as an idea as discussed to look at including auditing within a log file, but as this would be a new feature and one that I believe may not be implement due to this data already being collected. Would it be possible to ask your client if using a Yellowfin report and exporting that data to a csv for example would be compatible with the forensic work they wish to complete on it?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Michael,

I hope you are well.

I wanted to check in with you to see if you have had an opportunity to pose my question to your client?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Michael,

I hope you are well.

I wanted to check in with you to see if you have had an opportunity to pose my question to your client?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Michael,

I hope you are well.

I have marked this question as answered due to inactivity, if you do have any further questions please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

Leave a Comment

Attach a file