Report Speed

Arran Clark shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Apologies if this is covered somewhere but I could not find an existing article that made sense and fit my criteria.

Users have 1-4 dashboards and the reports on each dashboard draw on databases with 200,000+ rows each. The dashboard can take can several minutes to render fully and I would like to speed it up.

The database is updated once every 24 hours on a schedule but the reports aren't static. Users can filter the reports but the default unfiltered report still takes ages to load and there are several on the same tab.

I found information on dashboard caching which will improve the UX but I don't believe that will help the view to load any faster when they first log in.

What steps would you recommend to ensure the least amount of time is spent waiting for a report/chart/dashboard to load?

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Arran,

Thanks for reaching out to us on this. I'm going to break this down so we can work out the best course of action for your particular situation. To begin, can you confirm the version of Yellowfin and the build number (both of these can be found on the Info.jsp page and can be reached by typing <Yellowfin URL>/info.js), so I can check for any previously reported issues.

With that information, I'll ask a few questions:

• Is this a recent issue or have these Dashboards always run at this speed? If it is recent, what has changed?
  • Can you please confirm that the server's resources (RAM, CPU) are not running close to their max when loading these Dashboards?
  • Do all Dashboards take this amount of time, or is it limited to specific ones?
  • If we select the slowest Dashboard, can you run each report individually and add up the accumulated load time and compare that to the Dashboard load time?
  • If you copy and paste the SQL generated by these reports and run them against the datasource directly, is the time to return the values similar to that in Yellowfin?
  • Do the reports on this Dashboard return a large number of rows, or are they just run against large databases?

If you can answer the above we can start providing some suggestions (possibly increasing various cache sizes) and then set you up to investigate further if required.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Arran,

Hope you are well. I wanted to check in and see if you were still seeing this issue and if you were able to provide some more details for us so we can look to smooth things out for you?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Arran,

Happy new year! Just touching base to get some of the following answers, as well as the Yellowfin version and build number, to better help you:

• Is this a recent issue or have these Dashboards always run at this speed? If it is recent, what has changed?
  • Can you please confirm that the server's resources (RAM, CPU) are not running close to their max when loading these Dashboards?
  • Do all Dashboards take this amount of time, or is it limited to specific ones?
  • If we select the slowest Dashboard, can you run each report individually and add up the accumulated load time and compare that to the Dashboard load time?
  • If you copy and paste the SQL generated by these reports and run them against the datasource directly, is the time to return the values similar to that in Yellowfin?
  • Do the reports on this Dashboard return a large number of rows, or are they just run against large databases?

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Hi Arran,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Thanks Neal, close it for now. I just haven't had to time to really get my head into the problem to answer your questions. More qualified people than me have tried to solve it.

Cheers,

Arran

photo

Hi Arran,

Not a problem, I completely understand. Please do let me know if you want to dig into this more at any stage.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Attach a file