Broadcasts are removed when reports are edited

Nick shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi team,

I need to help to find out if this is a bug or designed behavior.

2 users:

User A has no permission to broadcast but can create/edit reports

User B should have at least permission to broadcast, create, edit reports (rep admin role is fine here)

Scnenario:

User A creates report

User B helps A to schedule it (broadcast now created)

User A then goes and modify the report (Edit) which gives the warning that a new version will be created > clicks OK and publish report again

User B opens report and upon checking the broadcast, it's been deleted

Scenario 2:

User A and B have both permissions to broadcast, create and edit reports (report admin is fine here)

Performs same step as above

Broadcast is not deleted

Thanks,

Nick

Replies (13)

photo

Hello Nick,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am going to replicate this scenario to confirm if the behavior is expected. Would you be able to tell me the build and version you have experienced this in?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

Sure

7.3 20180801

photo

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the additional information. I am in the process of testing this in your build and version and the latest release to confirm.

I will update you once I have progressed with my testing.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hello Nick,

I hope you had a good weekend. I apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have now completed my testing of both of the scenarios you have provided in both the version and build that you are using and the latest version but I have been unable to replicate the same outcome.

I would appear that the expect behavior is that when user a updates the report the broadcasts are not affected. To understand why this isnt happen within your environment would you be able to either;

1. Share a copy of your Yellowfin configuration database with me so that I can run it locally and re-test

or

2. Provide me with the exact User role permission that each of your examples.

In my testing I made sure that the only difference between my users was the ability to create broadcasts. I am interested to see if there is maybe another permission that may be causing this, hence the above.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

Is there a way for me to extract all the details of the 2 roles that I used?

Attached screenshots of the 2 roles that I used.

Please let me know if you are able to replicate it. If not, I'll take a copy of my DB and send it across.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thank you for sending this in, I am in the process of configuring my environment to match and I will re-test and confirm.

I will update you again shortly.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nick,

I have managed to replicate this following your exact process. This appears to be as per the design as when a user without the broadcast permission edits the report and publishes it, it will effectivly submit the updated report with the limited permission and in this scenario it means that the user does not have broadcasting and therefore turns this off when publishing and thus removing the broadcast created by the system administrator.

I am going to re-test this in the latest build to see if this has been changed in newer releases. As soon as I have finished my testing I will send you another update.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, my understanding is it publishes a new version of the report.

If you can confirm the behavior and whether we can log it as an idea, that will be great.

Currently, the requirement is to separate who can edit and broadcast reports. Ideally, for this situation, the customer would like to be able to control who can edit vs who can broadcast a report. For a user who can edit a report, he/she would be able to do just that, without affecting anything else. Hope this makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

I have been looking into this further and I was mistaken, this behavior was previously logged against 7.2 and fixed in our 7.3 2018 Feb Release.

I am currently confirming with our development team which BMC build contains the related fix.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

No problem.

I have applied the latest current build (20190812) on my environment, and it seems the problem has gone away.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Would you still like me to keep this ticket open in wait on the response from the development team or are you happy for me to close the ticket now that you have applied the latest current build?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi Nathan,

Happy for the post to be marked as complete.

Thanks for the assistance.

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have now marked this ticket as answered.

Have a great week.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

Leave a Comment

Attach a file