Ability to toggle Assisted Insights on/off at the report level

Peter Michael Sørensen shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi YF

Is it possible to turn off assisted insight in a report or a specific chart / chart type?

I know I can do it on the viewlevel, but then it is "on" it seems to be on for alle reports on that view with the charts that support that. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards Peter

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reaching out. Permissions for assisted insight is actually configured at the Role-level:

/e858cec3008ccc3a115a0908eef1a1a1

If you have this configured at the View-level it will be available in all reports built on that View.

If you don't want certain users to see the Smart Analysis option in reports, you can either remove these permissions from their current roles, or create a new role that does not have these options enabled.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this or whether any of these points require further clarification.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I already knew the role level security setup, but what I was after were a way to only turn it of on a specific report.

If not possible, it will be a nice enhancement because you maybe only want to expose the user for that option in certain reports with certain data and not in all 50 reports the user have access to.

I see it as a feature like "drill down", "Drill Through" and "Drill anywhere".

Regards Peter

photo

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. I can confirm that this is not currently possible - including there being no way to do so via a back-end query, it looks like.

That said, I'm not quite sure the added benefit of being able to toggle this functionality at the report-level. So as to better qualify idea's put forth for consideration, can you explain your use case in a bit more detail for why you'd like to see this functionality implemented? I understand that you don't want certain users to see the option in every report they have access to, so I'm basically just more curious as to the "why?" at this point.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Peter,

I just wanted to check in and see if you could provide feedback on my latest response.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike

Sorry for the late reply. I wrote a week ago, but somehow it was not sent/updated, so I had totally forgot this...

Thanks for the question "why". The main reason why is seen from a user perspective:

1) I see it much like exploring the data, trying to find the "why" and just like you would have drill Down, drill through og drill anywhere in one report in a dashboard and not all the reports, the same apply to assisted insights.

2) Another aspect is, that assisted insights is as far as I've discovered, based on the dimensions and metrics in the given report. So when you choose to explain the data, it will use the data in the report given. In that light, I want to be able to give the opportunity for the user to explain data more than I've made directly available in the chart I made to begin, but in a dashboard context, I could have other report where only 1 dimension + 1 metric is available and then the assisted insight would come up with "Not enough dimension available in the report... bla bla...".

I would rather like to control that completely, so the user wouldn't have that experience.

3) The last ting is when you are using both drill down and assisted insights in a report and have it on the dashboard. If you have drill Down turned on, you will have to hover over and hold the mouse for 2-3 sec before the menu opens. If I click on the chart before that, I will use the drill down functionality and I will not be able to use assisted insight. If I havent turned on drill down, I can just click on the chart and the menu with assisted insight is shown. This is not uniform / easy to deal with...

I would rather like to control the assisted insights, and if I have drill Down, I would turn it off (at the moment)...

Hope you can relate to those thoughts...

Regards Peter

photo

Hi Peter,

Thanks for explaining your use case. I understand what you're saying and can see the value in this.

As such, I've gone ahead and changed this to an Idea ticket and submitted an internal enhancement request for this.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file