What are the system requirements for the Yellowfin DB?

Nick shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I've seen a min. requirement for the Yellowfin DB but how can we estimate the hardware requirements, such as CPU or RAM requirements for a particular enviroment.

There doesn't seem to be any sizing guides that's available online.

Cheers,

Nick

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out.

We have two Wiki entries to help gauge CPU and RAM requirements. First is the Server Requirements entry, which provides for minimum recommendations depending on chosen Yellowfin Product(s), most common being "Yellowfin Data Discovery & Yellowfin Dashboard". If you click that header you'll see a section for Functional Application Server Requirements as well as the Recommended Application Server Requirements, both of which detail Processor and RAM requirements, among other specifications.

In addition to this, we have the Estimating Capacity Requirements Wiki, which details capacity factors and their influence. Capacity estimation should include consideration of the key activities undertaken by users and this document gives guidelines indicating what capacity factors several aspects of Yellowfin impact - namely, processor, memory and disk space.

These are of course both just guidelines as there are a lot of variables on a per-environment basis, but these should get you pointed in the right direction and provide for a good baseline of performance.

Please let me know if you have any questions on any of this.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hello Mike,

I have had a look at these already.

Can you point me the section where it talks about the YF DB specifically?

Please note I'm not referring to the data source nor the YF app server.

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

The Server Requirements Wiki contains our minimum requirements for hard disk space, but yeah there are no guidelines to estimate DB capacity because there are simply too many variables. It's going to depend on how many users are building how many reports, how analytically complex the reports are (charts, sub-queries, etc.). Your initial question referenced CUP and RAM, which are contained in the aforementioned documents. So in terms of the db, what kind of information are you looking for specifically outside of this?

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hello Mike,

Currently, the doc specifies the following for the YF repository:

Processor 1 x Dual Core (4 Thread) 3 GHz 64-bit or equivalent

RAM 4 GB

Hard Disk 10 GB (preferably SSD or RAID based storage)

Would the same apply to small, medium, large organisations?

The problem I have is the 'Estimating capacity requirements' do not provide any guidelines for the YF DB specifically.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, we can only really give accurate minimums. Anything beyond that is entirely dependent on usage. You can have a small organization with 3 report creators who are creating dozens of views, reports and dashboards, a medium size organization with dozens of users each creating a few reports, or thousands of users accessing a handful of reports, and there's really no way to say which one would have a larger db-size one way or the other without having more knowledge on the individual environment. This also excludes the possibility of chosen trade-off's - for example, an organization could experience significant performance issues related to running out of threads, and the organization may just accept the fact certain dashboards will take longer to load because they've determined it's not worth the cost of the additional server cores. DB size is quite easy and inexpensive to scale up relative to other aspects of performance should the need arise as well. BMC has a lot of Smart Reporting instances, so one idea would be to perhaps try and obtain an average db size for all instances.

This is something to keep an eye on and be mindful of for sure, but the only official guidelines we have is what's contained in those documents, and these are just primarily for minimum's and/or levels of baseline performance.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Nick,

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything else here. Are we okay to close this case out?

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

You may close the ticket.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your response and confirming. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file