Need to do a Test > Save connection every time after restart

Nick shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

We are experiencing a problem with YF 7.1.

Whenever we restart Smart Reporting, the administrator needs to go to Admin Console > Data Source > Test > Save. Once this has been performed, Smart Reporting works fine while the restart is done periodically every week to help with performance.

We have implemented volatile data source, but it hasn't made any difference.

The issue also doesn't happen in non-prod environment but we have been unable to find the root cause.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Regards,

Nick

Replies (10)

photo

Hey Nick,

Just checking firstly if there is an issue with the actual Datasource connections after a restart or if it's just that the Datasources are actually showing as not available? If it's the latter then this can be quite normal as when Yellowfin starts it does not test these connections by default and marks them as basically "Not sure / Don't know" status.

It's possible the dev environment is running some scheduled tasks or reports or being used slightly differently and therefore you are not seeing the issue?

Let me know if this is the case and what you think?

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

There's no issue with the data source connection. We just need to go to that extra step of Test > Save connection for the reports to work.

Upon restart, under Admin Console > Data source > Availability right at the bottom, it shows:

Availibility: ! Unknown. No attempt has been made to connect to this Data Source Yet

I can also see this on my OOTB machine, but the difference is that loading a report establishes a connection right away. This is the same with their non-prod environment.

In the source log, the error shows as: Failed to create initial connection at DBConnectionPool startup (attempt 1), java.lank.Exception: Username cannot be determined

It seems a bit misleading as performing a test connection without changing anything kind of works.

As for your suggestion around the dev having scheduled tasks, I doubt it, but I can look into it.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Are the 2 versions (Dev/Prod) identical? I see it's 7.1 and our latest JIRA system does not have the defects listed back to that version so it's going to be difficult to see if there was a known bug there somewhere.

Is there an option to upgrade them to something later / supported?

Cheers,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

I believe so last time I checked.

Not a problem.

Is there any information that you can share about whether there is any difference between how data source connection are created when report is loaded vs test connection ?

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

I believe the method is identical. If there is no connection available it will run the test first, then create the connection / validate, then run the report. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Yep, it's just that I find it weird that the test connection works, but loading a report without testing the connection doesn't work.

I'll see how else I can troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Yes indeed it is strange. Double check the versions are the same when you can also.

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Nick,

How are you going with this. Do you sill need my help?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

You can close this.

I think it is an issue at the JDBC layer or coming from the data source layer.

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

Okay no problems. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file