Yellowfin internals

Pavel Klammert shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

iam just wondering how does Yellowfin data sources work internally and i've been unable to find the answer on the forums. Iam interested whether YF loads data to memory or if the SQL command is send to our data source, which returns only relevant information?

Thanks in advance for the answer

Pavel

Best Answer
photo

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for reaching out. I suppose I'll speak to the most common use of Yellowfin - building and consuming reports! The way this works is the SQL query for said report is stored in the Configuration Database and when the report is accessed/executed, that query is run directly against the data source at that time. It is not stored in memory.

That said, you can set scheduled or manual report refreshes, which you can read more about here on our Wiki. This will make it so that instead of loading the data fresh each time a report is run, the result set itself will be cached (stored in the configuration database).

Hopefully this clears this up some. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for reaching out. I suppose I'll speak to the most common use of Yellowfin - building and consuming reports! The way this works is the SQL query for said report is stored in the Configuration Database and when the report is accessed/executed, that query is run directly against the data source at that time. It is not stored in memory.

That said, you can set scheduled or manual report refreshes, which you can read more about here on our Wiki. This will make it so that instead of loading the data fresh each time a report is run, the result set itself will be cached (stored in the configuration database).

Hopefully this clears this up some. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Pavel,

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything else here.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,thanks for the answer. No more questions from me.

Pavel

photo

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for confirming. This considered, I'll go ahead and close this case out then.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file