Deployment of Reports

Pratap Singh shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Can you please suggest best practice for deployment of reports from YF Development Instance to another Instance.

Is it possible to automate the Import process? for example, we have placed Report XML files in form of modules on our market and import(if new) or replace (if existing) when downloading that module. can we achieve such functionality? currently, we have to manually import all the reports on other instance one by one and check each report either to replace the report or import as new. this process is time-consuming and takes so much time.

Regards

Pratap

Replies (7)

photo

Hey Pratap,

Hope You're doing well!

That does sound very time consuming! So to save you some time we have web service calls that automate the import export process!

here is a link to the yellowfin wiki page that goes into more detail about the export/import functions and step by steps on how to perform the calls.

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12879593

If this is not what you were looking for or if you have any further questions, please let me know!

Hope this helped :)

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Pratap,

Hope you had a lovely weekend.

Just wanted to check in to see if the web service calls option worked for you or if you had any further questions, I'm happy to help :)

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Pratap,

I hope you are good!

Just wanted to let you know i'm going to go ahead and close this ticket now, however, if you do need further assistance or have any questions, just respond back to this ticket and it will be re-opened :)

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

Can you please suggest what can be the best deployment strategy.

Currently, what we are following, we import all the reports on an instance and simply export configuration database ot that instance and import on the production environment. Is that a good practice? once the deployment is done if we have changes in any reports , we export and replace specific report manually, it is difficult to find out what has been changed during the period in a particular report. actually there should be something like report version. Is there any document or forum specifying the best practice of deployment and after deployment updates. Actually I was after any document which mentions what deployment Strategy to follow.

I will really appreciate your reply.

Regards

Pratap

photo
photo

Hey Pratap,

I hope you are well!

Yes I believe that exporting and importing as you are doing is good practice from the dev environment to the production environment.

We do have a range of deployment guide on our wiki - please click here to see which would suit your needs best!

- Although an easy way to find the last modified/updated versions of a report would be to browse your content list and see the last modified date and compare to the last modified date within production to see if they match or if they have in fact been modified since deployment...

747336b3e78998e32270cce1b6c891f8

Would that make things easier to find? Let me know!

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your quick response.

- I have already gone through this article, but this is more related to Server Configuration not with the requirement I have mentioned here.

- I agree with you on comparing the last modified/updated date in both the servers will be helpful, but I think a slight change in a report on production environment will change the date.

Regards

Pratap

photo
photo

Hey Pratap,

Ok I found this on the wiki which I think could be quite useful, basically when importing the content you can choose to add or replace, when choosing add, it will make a copy of the content that is imported, you can then decide which content you want to keep once imported?

Does this sound possibly better?

Heres the wiki link -https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/user80/The+Import+Process

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Pratap,

I hope you are well!

I wanted to reach out to find out if my last response helped at all?

Let me know :) or even if you still need further assistance!

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Pratap,

I hope you have been well!

I just wanted to let you know that I will be closing this ticket due to the inactivity, however, if you do require further assistance then please do not hesitate to reopen the ticket as i am more than happy to help! :)

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Lesley

Leave a Comment

Attach a file