Ability to see table schema on view builder

Mandy Howard shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

When a single schema is not specified in the data source connection, Yf lists all tables in the database and as a user, I cannot easily see source information for that table (what schema is this table from) without adding it to the model and looking at the metadata panel.

Would be good to have a way to show the schema for that table, so I know where it has come from.

You already have this option on the next step in the view builder.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Mandy,

This makes complete sense and would be an awesome idea.

Have gone ahead and raised a product idea for the team.

At this point in time, no ETA can be provided as an in-depth look at how much effort is involved, and how it ties in with our current road map is unknown.

Will revisit this in a few weeks to see where it's at.

Please let me know if there was anything else you were after in the meantime.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi Mandy,

We are currently implementing this change, but thing we have a better option that would be better with handling any schema changes.

Instead of showing the schema to the left of the table name, we can have the search provide an option to search by schema.

This way when creating your view, you know exactly where these tables are coming from.

I would love to chat for a few mins on this when you have a chance?

I'm currently located in Melbourne, so the timezone may cause some problems, but I do get in at 7am so we should still get a few hours.

Please let me know your availability and I'll shoot through a remote session link.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Searching by schema would be great. Also, having the same behavior has the prepare step which allows user to toggle table information.

I am available now for the next 1.5 hours or so if you want to email a remote session link we can chat briefly on this.

photo

Hello David,

Has the schema search functionality been implemented? If not, when can we expect to see it added.

photo

Hi Daryle,

Yup it sure has been implemented, and was included in the Sept 7.3 release. Change logs here.

Apologies for not updating this post earlier.

Here is how it works.

1. On the view builder, click the snake icon .

2. Now the schema is displayed in front of the table.

c9e156e2863f31762cf8275fa54fe63a

Please let me know if you had any other questions on this!

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file