Report Summaries Round Off

C Mataranyika shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Is it possible to change how report summaries round off their values? Values in the millions are rounded off to the nearest million and those in the thousands to the nearest thousand. This results in data seeming inaccurate if values are mixed.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Within the Report Builder you can change a numeric fields rounding of values to one of the following;

• Round up: This always rounds up. For example, 33.2 will become 34.
  • Round down: This always rounds down. For example: 28.9 will become 28.
  • Round half up: Rounds up if decimal point is 0.5 or higher, otherwise rounds down.
  • Round half down: Rounds down if decimal point is 0.5 or lower, otherwise rounds up.

To access this you will need to be in the data tab of the report builder and select the 'column formatting' button > select your column > within the display tab you will see 'Rounding' (See below)

cfa6e2109bc35af1741fb641022a48dd

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. If this does not answer your question please can you provide a screenshot example of what you are seeing.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

f0f0a470938ae47693a263fcc7e8c403

Above is a screenshot of my report. Net Premium = Gross Premium less Commissions less Claims. From those figures the calculations seem inaccurate but looking at the table the Gross Premium is actually 1.474m and it was rounded down to 1m. My question is that is there a way to change how the values are rounded off, so instead of 1m it can show maybe 1.5 ?

photo

Hello,

Thank you for sending in the example.

The summary field does not allow for alot of control in regards to rounding. There is however an other option that would allow you to have more control over the output of this fields.

In my example I will be using the data from the Sample Ski Team database, where I have an Invoive summary value of $470,935,339 by using the standard summary this produces and output of $471m. To allow me to have a more accurate number displayed e.g. $470.94m I did the following:

1. Create a calculated field called 'Million' and give it the value of 1000000f478988d8ebb28df0cfa345b0cd6565b

2. Add this field to the report (You will see a column of just 1000000 for every row.

3. Click on the dropdown next to the field label and select 'Advanced Function'4. Select 'Division By Column' and select the column you wish to be divided by 1000000 (This will show the column as a decimal value e.g. $22,000 will now show as 0.022)

1869efd226c7d41d11c57c21613512da

5. Next you will need to edit the format of the field so that you can add a prefix,a suffix and a decimal place value, in this example I will be using the prefix $ and the suffix m.

86e2a8a61aebd23912faefdb6c6dcfe9

65e937eccdf93d4a31c66f0927311ef7

6. Within the Numeric Desplay Chart replace your current field with this new field (in my example 'Division by Million')971628d2a66d09d74508039f949ec761

7. You will now see the SUM value of that column with the Prefix, Suffix and decimal place pulled through.

Hopefully following this example you will be able to have control over the decimal place. Which means you can produce outputs such as 1.4m, 1.47m, etc.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Thank you, let me try to implement the solution

photo

Hi,

Youre very welcome, please let me know if you need any further assistance on this.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi,

I hope you are well.

I am just checking in to see if you have manage to try the implementation suggested?

Please can you let me know if you require any further assitance or if you are happy for this ticket to be close.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi,

Due to inactivity I have now marked this questions as answered. If you do require any further assistance please feel free to reach out to us.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hie,

Did implement the solution but it didnt come out the way I wanted. I couldnt format the values as nicely as the automatic summaries. Dividing by a million does work but my data is too small for it to come out nicely, then tried a thousand and my data is too big. Thought of choosing something in-between a thousand and million like 100 000 but it would be too complicated to represent to the user. Will most likely stick to dividing with a million.

Regards

photo

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Would you mind sharing the figures your are trying to represent and I will see if I can offer any additional suggestions?

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo

Hi,

Hope you are well.

I wanted to check in with you to see if you required any further assistance with this question or if you are happy for me to mark it as answered.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

photo
photo

Hie,

I have no need for further assistance, Thank you

Regards,

Christine

photo

Hi Christine,

Thank you for getting back to us. I have now market this question as answered.

Hope you have a great week.

Kind regards,

Nathan Goddard

Leave a Comment

Attach a file