importing/exporting content - content translation

Nick shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

I have a question from the following article:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/dependencies-that-are-not-included-when-exporting-content

When it comes to the limitations of exporting/importing contents, would content translation be one of them?

Eg. I have translation turned on, and renamed some fields at report level. I export the report and import it into another environment/db having the same schema. On the environment where I am importing the report:

1. Will/should the import actually work?

2. If it does work, will another user be able to see the imported report with the renamed fields regardless or their language or preferred language settings (more so in the case where these settings are different from the environment where the report was exported)

Thanks,

Nick

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Nick,

Good question, thanks for sending this through. To answer each of these:

1. I've tested and I can confirm that the report import will work and does include the original translation file for that report specifically.

2. The user will only be able to see the translated names if their preferred language setting matches the translation in the original environment. Eg. If the original report translation worked for users who had Danish as their preferred language, the users in the new instance would need to have Danish as their preferred language as well.

Please note that the translation would only work for the report you have imported. In the example images below, you will notice I have two Dashboards with the same name, but after setting the preferred language for my user, only the imported Dashboard shows the translated titles.

Original Environment (export)

a2417bedcb92517dced034a3a159c590

New Environment - No Preferred Language set (import)

8d902b9b7c7c45bed38dbee8939a4a98

New Environment - Preferred Language set - only affects imported Dashboards and reports

62519eba0c9caa65c8b304c8c83225c1

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Neal

photo

Thanks Neal.

photo

Hi Nick,

Glad I could help. If there is anything else you need please don't hesitate to contact us.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Attach a file